Wednesday, 16 September 2009

Conference Highlights

I've returned from Plaid Conference particularly enthused for the next twelve months. I got a very real sense of Plaid putting its best foot forward (and I certainly enjoyed not having much responsibility). I spoke at various events and on the conference floor on energy policy, taxation and economic development.

Of the highlights I'd pick out three:
i) I thought Ieuan Wyn Jones' speech was excellent - but I particularly enjoyed Ieuan talking about what motivated him personally to get involved with politics.
ii) Adam's speech was pure class - from a politician whose skills undoubtedly merit a place at the top table of Welsh politics. I thought the wide ranging attack on the Conservatives was particularly well timed. In Wales we're used to thinking of Labour as our competitors and the Tories as some distant annoyance. Adam's speech was a clear reminder that in the forthcoming general election we need to persuade both Labour and potential Conservative voters to think differently and think Plaid.
iii) Personally I enjoyed hugely Richard Wyn Jones' memorial lecture, as clearly did all of those delegates who don't count Richard as their marathon training partner (that's another story for another blog!). The content was great as usual, but I was particularly pleased that the late Nans Jones - a giant within the party's organisation who is rarely recognised sufficiently was appropriately recognised at this memorial lecture. It was lovely to see Eryl her niece there to listen to the lecture.

My big regret of conference - having to work on Thursday and missing out on the Dafydd Wigley and Ron Davies show - which by all accounts was terrific. Another two giants whose contribution to Wales needs to be harnessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haia Penderyn

Botymau newydd ar gyfer y gwobr Politico Cymreig a gest ti yn 2008:

Cymraeg

Saesneg

Hwyl