Friday, 18 September 2009

Afghanistan

The renewed coverage of the war effort in Afghanistan has prompted me to post on some of the experiences of people in the Cynon Valley serving in Afghanistan. Whatever one's views on a particular government decision to sent troops abroad (and today's stories reflect the huge questions about the Afghan deployment), there is absolutely no excuse whatsoever for failing to provide those troops with adequate equipment and facilities.

A few days ago when I was out talking to local people, I met a soldier's family who told me about his conditions in Afghanistan. I've known for some time about the lack of helicopters and properly armoured vehicles, but this is the first time I'd heard first hand about the lack of water and washing facilities! This solider isn't posted at the main Camp Bastion - he isn't provided with enough water (and bear in mind it regularly hits 40 degrees in Afghanistan) and can wash properly once a week.

Given the enormous challenges that fighting the Taliban pose, I cannot believe that we are not making sure that our troops have the absolute basics. I shall be writing to the MoD, and supporting any local initiatives to assist.

No comments: