
Bike Week has now been and gone and I managed not to use my car once! The highlight was definitely commuting to work at Cardiff University one morning on the bike. My speedometer clocked the distance as 30.5 miles. I left Penderyn at 7.15 and was in my office at 9.30. This picture was taken as part of Cardiff Uni's activities to support Bike Week, where anyone who commuted to work got a voucher for a Free Breakfast. I think I got the picture taken as I had cycled furthest of all the University staff. I wouldn't normally have such a big breakfast but I think I deserved it!
I was surprised how generally easy it was not to use the car. The journey to Milton Keynes was really nice on the train. The one thing that really caught me out was the weekly supermarket shop. Not using the car really brought it home to me how heavily dependent the supermarkets are on cars, and people making one big shopping trip a week. I got by, and I know I could have registered for internet shopping but that seemed to me to be defeating the point.
If anyone is inspired not to use their car, you can pledge to change one car journey at this website - Change Your World
No comments:
Post a Comment