Wednesday, 8 July 2009

Please Sir, can I have some more powers

I've just been reading Betsan's blog about the latest Westminster attempt to block the National Assembly getting powers - this time its the Welsh language. I haven't blogged for a while about my frustrations with the LCO process, but I think this latest twist is so clearly nonsensical that it only serves to undermine the arguments of those anti-devolutionists who claim the system is working.

Briefly, the Assembly Government has asked for a more powers in the field of the Welsh Language. But rather than support the granting of those powers, Westminster seemingly suggest that the Assembly should have even more powers in principle, as long as the Assembly asks for them in the right way!

So - please sir can I have some more ... No, you can't have any powers at the moment, but as long as you stand there on one leg for six months, singing some nice easy listening music, and then ask me really nicely, in exactly the right words, then you can have all the powers you can ever have imagined in this area!

Absolutely ridiculous, and the sooner this system comes to an end the better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The LCO process is really now beyond a joke.

This so called "streamlining" or the legislative process is anything but.