Monday, 30 November 2009

Transport Priorities

I'm now getting loads of feedback from surveys, Emails and talking to people out and about in the Cynon Valley on a whole range of issues. In different areas I'm aiming to prioritise a number of key initiatives - so lets begin with transport.

There seem to be three key areas that need work in order to develop transport infrastructure.

On the railways, reopening the line between Hirwaun and Aberdare would be a major step forward; and I'm delighted that the Welsh Government has begun to seriously consider this. More work needs to be done here and there are practical considerations, but it is certainly something that would make a major difference.

On walking and cycling, the developed parts of the Cynon Trail are popular and provide a genuine transport alternative. But there are parts of the Trail that need further work e.g. from Mountain Ash to Aberdare, and I'd also support developing the trail into a network of off-road walking and cycling paths.

On the roads, I've been struck by the number of residents who complain about unsafe local roads - poorly maintained roads and speeding cars. I've been a long term supporter of 20mph zones, and I will be campaigning for the introduction of 20 mph across residential areas in the Cynon Valley.

As ever I'd be very interested in people's views.

No comments: