Sunday, 1 November 2009

The Pound in Your Pocket

About a fortnight ago I had a holiday in Barcelona. It a a great city, a terrific atmosphere and an enormous credit to Catalunya. There are several things our capital city could learn from Barcelona (more on that in future posts). But probably the most striking feature of the holiday for me was how expensive everything had become. A few years ago I'd been invitied to a conference in Barcelona and what struck me was how comparatively inexpensive everything was - particularly the fantastic tapas.

That certainly isn't the case now, and I wouldn't want to put anyone off going, but thanks to the weakness of the pound against the Euro it isn't cheap any more. The truth of the matter is that the international money markets have passed their judgement on Gordon Brown's handling of the economy, and while major economies around the world are emering from recession, the UK is still suffering. So while the pound in your pocket may seem the same, once exchanged for Euros theres considerably less to spend - courtesy of Gordon Brown.

No comments: