Thursday, 28 October 2010

RCT Staff Threatened by Labour Council

I was appalled last night to hear that Labour are threatening 10,000 workers in Rhondda Cynon Taf with a ‘lock-out.’ The Labour-run council has by-passed trades unions and is trying to force staff to accept lower terms and conditions of employment without any negotiations. They are also refusing to rule out compulsory redundancies. The GMB has already called for immediate talks and for the Council to lift their threats to employees terms and conditions.

I'll do everything I can to help. Isn't it appalling that a Labour Council is behaving just like a Tory Council!

My colleague Plaid Cymru AM for South Wales Central Leanne Wood AM has said:
“This is outrageous right-wing behaviour by the Labour party in Rhondda Cynon Taf. Compulsory redundancies have not been ruled out and the Labour leadership on the council has ensured that the unions are shut out of any meaningful discussions about the future of the staff. Labour is the only party to have done this in Wales – first in Neath and now in Rhondda Cynon Taf.
"The Tories have taken similar action in England but not even they have dared to do the same in Wales . The Plaid group on the council have battled to prevent this non-negotiable down-grade of workers' terms and conditions, but the ruling Labour group ensured changes were voted through.
"Before the last election, Labour were telling people that only they could stop the Tories. Now they are behaving exactly like them.”

Here is a link to the details on the GMB Website.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"a Labour Council is behaving just like a Tory Council!"

Frankly, I think that it's a Labour council behaving like a Labour council

Penderyn said...

Fair point. I have always expected Labour to be a slightly better than the Tories - and am regularly disappointed!