Friday, 7 May 2010

Cynon Valley 2010 Election Result

Having had a couple of hours sleep, I thought I'd better post the Cynon Valley result here.

Ann Clwyd Labour 15,681
Dafydd Trystan Davies Plaid Cymru 6,064
Lee Thacker Liberal Democrat 4,120
Juliette Ash Conservative 3,010
Frank Hughes UK Independence Party 1,001

I am really pleased to say that the result is an 8.6% swing from Labour to Plaid Cymru and Plaid Cymru's best result in the Cynon Valley since 1974! The Plaid vote increased by 6.8%, which I am reliably informed is one of our best results in Wales.

Though you'd always like to do better, I am delighted with the result. It provides a terrific base for the further growth of Plaid in the Cynon Valley and is an excellent foundation for the elections of 2011 and 2012.

I'll post more thoughts on the Wales and UK wide results in due course.

But I'd just like to say an enormous THANK YOU to everyone who supported me. We ran a terrific campaign and it wouldn't have been possible without the dozens of volunteers who gave up many many hours of their time to work for a better Cynon Valley. What was an enormous source of pride for me was the number of volunteers who have never been involved in politics before. I've met so many old and new friends and now look forward to a nice weekend off, and then back to work on Monday!

I'd also like to thank all of the candidates for the very good spirit in which the campaign was fought. I've known Ann for a while and knew that we would enjoy the debates of the campaign, but it was also a pleasure to meet two new friends in Lee and Juliette.

Diolch o waelod calon.

Dafydd

1 comment:

Dr Carwyn Tywyn said...

Dafydd,

Llongyfarchiadau mawr ar dy ymgyrch a'th canlyniad calonogol dros ben.

Mae'r canlyniadau yng Nghastell Nedd, Cwm Cynon (a'r Rhondda i raddau) yn arwydd o ba ffordd mae'r gwynt am chwythu yn 2011.

Cofion gorau,

Carwyn