Friday, 19 March 2010

Protecting the Vulnerable

I have been particularly moved in recent weeks by reading more about the appalling story about how an elderly lady from Sully was conned out of her life savings by a what can only be described as a despicable gang. I was first alerted to the story when it appeared in the Observer and took more interest because I know her son. David Cornock is a very experienced BBC journalist, a first class marathon runner and a thoroughly decent human being.

The story can be viewed in full on the BBC website here. I cannot imagine what the family is feeling having seen their mother suffer such a crime. The courage and dignity that both David and his sister have shown is quite remarkable.

I am wholly convinced that we need to do more as a society to protect those people who may well be vulnerable to persuasive and determined fraudsters. Part of the challenge is to be watchful and I do hope that the profile given to this case will persuade many of those who may have concerns to act and ensure that everything is OK with elderly or infirm relatives or friends. But secondly surely there needs to be more guidance to banks to be alert to such crimes. If you want to set up a new bank account you need all manner of ids, checks, double checks these days. There are quite appropriately stringent rules now in place to try and prevent money laundering. But where are those rules and duties on banks to maintain a watch, particularly on more elderly customers to ensure that their finances are being managed in a way that is consistent with their genuine wishes rather some fraudsters or conmen.

Though I'm sure it must be awful for David and his family, I do sincerely believe that the profile of this case will stop things like this from happening in the future.

No comments: