In Scotland and in Wales new legislation is being introduced to try and deal with alcohol related problems. In Scotland drinks promotions (2 for 1 etc) will be banned and stores will only be able to sell alcohol between 10am and 10pm. In Wales drinkers who cause problems can be given ASBOs and banned from particular pubs. I have to say I think the Scots approach is certainly far more sensible than the ASBOs route brought forward by the UK Government for England and Wales. Crucially the Scottish approach is about starting to tackle the problem at source, from a public health perspective - rather than the UK Government approach of criminalising people who have a problem.
Were we to be able to set our own priorities in this field I’d strongly support the Scottish proposals – though I’d like to go further and tackle supermarkets selling alcohol at a loss to get people through their doors. I’d also support restrictions on when people can buy alcohol (particularly from off-licenses).
In terms of pubs there are a number of good examples of publicans who will regularly refuse to serve people who’ve had too many – this good practice should certainly be universal. But there are also examples of pubs in large centres where minor changes e.g. no drinking at the bar, queuing systems and maximum numbers of drinks that can be purchased at any one time, have had a major impact.
I’d also support much clearer labeling of the numbers of units in bottles / glasses etc. I was shocked to find out that a large glass of red wine can contain 4 units of alcohol!
All of these initiatives could help, but ultimately there are people who have real difficulties with alcohol and need help. In my view we need greater sources of information and support for those who may be worried by their intake but probably not problematic drinkers. Most importantly though we need enough money invested in rehab facilities so that those who are in difficulty can get help quickly. I’ve heard of examples of people either having to wait months for rehab support, or having to pay privately to get treatment. Where people need treatment, that treatment should be provided promptly – and hopefully then we can help people get their lives back on track.
No comments:
Post a Comment